Web Stories Sunday, August 31
Newsletter

A teenager and two men shot by a pistol packing, scooter-riding duo in the Bronx were believed to be the targets of the gunfire, a police source said.

The gunmen fired more than a dozen rounds in front of 2540 Marion Avenue near Fordham University around 9:30 p.m. Friday, leaving a 17-year-old shot in the left thigh, a 21-year-old shot in the right knee and a 28-year-old grazed in the back of the head, police and sources said.

The victims were uncooperative and police were scouring for video of the shooting, which unfolded as a birthday party for a 4-year-old girl was being held nearby.

Two gunman on a scooter fired more than a dozen shots outside a Bronx deli Friday night, cops and sources said. Christopher Sadowski

“The kids heard [the shots],” said party organizer Grindl Bose, 61, a retired teacher. “They were upset when they saw the cops running through the block. They didn’t know if it was gunshots or fire crackers.”

Another mom said she’s thinking of leaving the borough.

“I am afraid for my kids,” said the mom, whose kids are 5, 6 and 10 years old and who asked to remain anonymous out of fear. “Sometimes I regret moving here.”

The latest burst of gunfire followed a spate of shootings in the boogie down that prompted Mayor Adams to order 1,000 cops to the borough and call for a summit with gang members at Gracie Mansion.

The mayor’s gang summit proposal came after a deadly Aug. 23 shootout between gang members at a basketball tournament.

A 32-year-old man was killed and four others hurt in the shooting, including a 17-year-old girl who was left fighting for her life after she was blasted in the face by a stray bullet.

Two teens – ages 16 and 17 – were hit with murder, attempted murder, gang assault and weapons charges for the gunfire, which broke out during a basketball tournament.

A teenager and two adults were believed to have been targeted in the shooting, a source said. Christopher Sadowski

Daeven Reyes, 20, and Robert Royal, 25, also face murder, attempted murder and weapons charges in the basketball tournament shooting. Reyes was slapped with an additional gang assault charge, police said.

“When bullets fly because of gang disputes, it doesn’t stop and pause and say this isn’t a rival gang member,” Adams said during a Thursday news conference about the violence with Bronx District Attorney Darcel Clark at his side.

“There’s so much that we want to do and we know it’s not just policing, it is about preventing and reacting,” he continued.

Mayor Adams is calling for a summit with gang members amid a spate of Bronx shootings. Lev Radin/ZUMA / SplashNews.com
Sliwa ripped into the mayor’s plan to host gang leaders at a summit in a bid to tamp down violence, claiming Adams “has lost his mind.” J.C. Rice

Mayoral candidate Curtis Sliwa tore into Mayor Adams’ summit idea.

“He wants to sit down with trigger pullers,” Sliwa charged at a news conference outside the mayor’s Upper East Side home Saturday. “He not only wants to sit with gangbangers in the People’s House but trigger pullers who have shot victims or killed victims. He has lost his mind.”

No date had been set for the gang summit, a mayoral spokeswoman said Saturday.

Shootings and murders are both down nearly 20% citywide year to date, according to NYPD data, but shootings surged 53% so far this year in the notorious 47th Precinct in the Bronx, where the basketball tournament shooting occurred.

The NYPD also plans to station scores of cops at the annual J’Ouvert Festival in Brooklyn which is slated to be held Sunday night into Monday morning. The festival is sometimes marred by gun violence ahead of the annual West Indian Day Parade there.

Read the full article here

Share.

Leave A Reply

© 2025 Wuulu. All Rights Reserved.