Independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. says Donald Trump’s team has indeed reached out to him about the possibility of joining the Republican front-runner’s ticket — despite attempts from the 77-year-old’s top aides to throw cold water on the possibility.
“People from the team have reached out to me,” the 70-year-old Kennedy told NewsNation before shooting down the chance of a Trump-Kennedy ticket.
“I would not take that job,” he said. “I’m flattered that President Trump would offer it to me, but it’s not something that I’m interested in.”
The Post reported Saturday that Trump’s team had been in touch with RFK Jr. about “premature” VP possibilities when Kennedy launched his 2024 campaign in April.
Later that day, Trump’s top campaign aide Chris LaCivita disputed the report and attacked the independent’s policies.
“This is 100% FAKE NEWS – NO ONE from the Trump Campaign ever approached RFK jr [sic] (or ever will) – one of the most LIBERAL and radical environmentalists in the country. For all the fake news- update your stories,” LaCivita posed on X Saturday.
When asked by The Post Tuesday if RFK Jr. was lying, Trump campaign spokesman Steven Cheung responded “yes” before referring to LaCivita’s statement.
Kennedy has been in touch with a wide range of Republican candidates and operatives since switching his party affiliation from Democrat to independent in October.
Kennedy was spotted speaking in November with then-2024 White House hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy about the “military industrial complex” and headlined a Conservative Political Action Conference event in Las Vegas.
The son of the late attorney general and senator from New York has maintained a high share of support in polls, averaging 13.4% in a match-up involving Trump, President Biden and other third party candidates, per RealClearPolitics.
A Harvard/ Harris poll from January gave Kennedy 18% support in a three-way match-up against Trump and Biden. The poll also showed him with the highest net favorability rating of all candidates, at plus-49%.
Kennedy’s focus on environmental issues and skepticism of the COVID-19 vaccine appeals to voters who have never voted for a third-party candidate before, attendees at a Salt Lake City rally told The Post in November.
The candidate drew around 700 to his Utah event and has been holding rallies across the country in a bid to get on the ballot in all 50 states.
Kennedy will have to spend around $15 million to appear on the ballot nationwide in the Nov. 5 general election, campaign press secretary Stephanie Spear has said.
So far, the Kennedy campaign says it has enough signatures to get on the ballot in Utah and New Hampshire.
Read the full article here