Web Stories Friday, April 4
Newsletter

Now it’s a harder knock life. 

Roc-A-Fella Records’ embattled co-founder was ordered to pay $4 million for trash-talking a filmmaker on a podcast — on top of the millions he already owes the state of New York.

Damon Dash — who already owes the Empire State $8.7 million in back taxes — must cough up the dough after badmouthing movie producer Josh Webber on the “Earn Your Leisure” podcast in March 2024, a California federal judge ruled on March 26.

During the on-air rant, the former rap mogul-turned-Jay Z-foe was discussing a dispute he and Webber had over the 2019 movie “Dear Frank,” when he claimed Webber and his partners stole from him, according to an April 2024 defamation lawsuit.

Roc-A-Fella Records co-founder Damon Dash was ordered to pay $4 million in a California defamation case. GC Images

“And I knew this d—khead Chris Brown and Josh Webber and Muddy Waters…These guys trigger me and steal my s–t,” he said on the podcast.

Webber claimed in his suit that he lost a  $4-million producing and directing job because of the comments, which were broadcast to thousands of listeners.

Last week, Judge John Walter made the $4 million “default judgment” against Dash because he failed to “file an opposition” to the suit, Central District of California Court papers state. 

Filmmaker Josh Webber sued Damon Dash for defamation last year. Getty Images for Muddy Waters Pictures/Webber Films

The ruling marks the latest of Dash’s financial woes, which include a $823,000 judgment in a previous legal battle over “Dear Frank,” along with a $300,000 judgement over a 2020 copyright infringement and $193,000 in unpaid child support.

Webber’s attorney claimed to The Post that Dash “has not learned his lesson and continues to defame people.”

“At some point someone on Damon Dash’s team needs to tell him that Mr. Webber will always protect his reputation and rights, at all costs,” said Christopher Brown of the firm Brown & Rosen LLC.

The on-air trash talk against Webber came after Dash insisted that Jay-Z “robbed me” over record label and clothing company dealings on a different podcast, “Big Boy’s Neighborhood,” in 2019.

“No matter what, I feel he robbed me — period,” Dash said on that podcast. “The way he went about moves with my business was dirty.”

Dash celebrating his birthday with Jay-Z when the two were on better terms. WireImage

Dash and the famed Brooklyn rapper co-founded Roc-A-Fella Records —which made hits such as “Hard Knock Life” and “99 Problems” — in 1994 but have since had a falling out over finances.

Reps for Dash and Jay-Z didn’t immediately return a request for comment Thursday.

Read the full article here

Share.

Leave A Reply

© 2025 Wuulu. All Rights Reserved.