An employee of a nonprofit that has received millions of dollars in contracts from the city of Los Angeles to help clear up homelessness and hand out free needles and crack pipes was arrested with an alleged cache of fentanyl and meth in his vehicle.
Christopher Johnson, who is linked to nonprofit organization People Assisting the Homeless (PATH), was pulled over by the LAPD in his white BMW on May 5 because he was allegedly driving without a front license plate.
When officers approached his vehicle, Johnson appeared to be very nervous, and a white baggy was visible in the center console containing an “off-white residue, consistent in appearance with methamphetamine,” according to an affidavit obtained by The California Post.
Officers also allegedly observed two knives in Johnson’s waistband, according to the documents.
After being questioned outside his vehicle, Johnson allegedly admitted to being in possession of “speed.”
Officers further searched the vehicle, allegedly finding 142 grams of a mixture or substance containing a
detectable amount of fentanyl and at least 45.97 grams of methamphetamine, according to the documents.
He was arrested for possession with intent to distribute fentanyl.
Johnson was pulled over again Thursday morning by federal agents on a federal arrest warrant stemming from the May 5 arrest.
In his vehicle, agents found pipes and syringes. He also had a PATH book bag and business card that listed his profession as a substance use disorder specialist.
“There’s been rumors for a long time that the folks dispensing the syringes are also selling the drugs,” Bill Essayli, First Assistant US Attorney for the Central District of California, told The California Post. “There’s a couple issues with it — one is if you’re receiving tens of millions of dollars to provide these services to drug users, you don’t want to solve the drug problem. The people working at these nonprofits are making a killing.”
Essayli said based on the amount of drugs, Johnson is facing at least five years in federal prison and questioned how he was able to obtain a job helping the homeless, many of whom are battling drug addiction.
“He’s got prior gun and drug charges, so it really begs the question why he was employed to begin with, with this agency,” Essayli said.
The FBI raided MacArthur park earlier this month in an effort to clean up the crime-ridden area, and Essayli said law enforcement will continue to maintain a consistent presence in order to prevent drugs flooding back into neighborhood.
“We’re going to have a sustained law enforcement presence,” Essayli told The Post, adding that he is currently in talks to “having regular sweeps.”
Download The California Post App, follow us on social, and subscribe to our newsletters
California Post News: Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, X, YouTube, WhatsApp, LinkedIn
California Post Sports Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, X
California Post Opinion
California Post Newsletters: Sign up here!
California Post App: Download here!
Home delivery: Sign up here!
Page Six Hollywood: Sign up here!
Read the full article here















